SASS is an association of scholars and others interested in the cultures of the Nordic countries: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. For more about joining the Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study, click here.
Founded in 1911, the Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study has as its objectives:
- The promotion of Scandinavian study and instruction in America;
- The encouragement of original research in this country in the fields of Scandinavian languages, literatures, history, culture, and society and the publication of the results of such research in the quarterly journal Scandinavian Studies;
- The fostering of closer relations between persons interested in Scandinavian studies in North America and elsewhere.
- President: Tim Tangherlini, UCLA (email@example.com)
- Vice President: Julie Allen, BYU (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Immediate Past President: Margaret Hayford O’Leary, St. Olaf College (email@example.com)
- Executive Director: Clydette L. Wantland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
History and Social Science
- Glenn Kranking, Gustavus Adolphus College (email@example.com), 2014-2018
- Lizette Gradén, Stockholm University (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2015-2019
- Daron Olson, Indiana University East (email@example.com) 2016-2020
- Benjamin Teitelbaum, University of Colorado (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2017-2021
Language and Literature
- Sherrill Harbison, University of Massachusetts at Amherst (email@example.com), 2014-2018
- Jonas Wellendorf, Berkeley (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2015-2019
- Ursula Lindqvist, Gustavus Adolphus College (email@example.com) 2016-2020
- Gantt Gurley, University of Oregon (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2017-2021
For general inquiries you may use the form below to send us a message. Thanks!