Job Title: Teaching assistant
Req ID 7581 – Posted 12/05/2017 – Assistant academic staff – 30% – Faculty of Arts and Philosophy – LLW0077 — Literary Studies
→ Apply until 30/05/2017 23:59 CEST
→ Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
→ Department LW07 – Literary Studies
→ AAP temporary appointment – 30%
→ 1.0 position(s)
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- You will assist in the practice-based teaching at the department (i.e. organization, counselling and assessment of practical exercises and seminars), specifically the following courses Swedish literature I, Swedish literature II and Scandinavian literature.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a Master’s degree in (Historical) Linguistics and Literary Studies, Comparative Modern Literature with a specialisation in Swedish/Scandinavian, or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have in-depth experience literary research methods, including, for instance, a Master’s thesis in the field of literature.
- You have excellent academic communication skills in Swedish (active and passive, oral and written); command of Danish or Norwegian is considered an asset.
- You have experience in teaching and coaching students.
- You are involved in other professional activities and/or you have demonstrable experience that may contribute to the quality of the practice-based teaching at the department.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a one year appointment, which may be renewed indefinitely for five years at a time. Attention: You cannot be appointed for a cumulative percentage of more than 30% as a Teaching Assistant at Ghent University.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2017 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave (per year for a full-time employment), bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on our website (in Dutch).
Apply online via this application before last application date (see above). Make sure you upload the following documents:
- application letter
- a transcript of the required degree
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it)
We do not accept applications that are sent by e-mail or applications that lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Sophie Wennerscheid (Sophie.Wennerscheid@UGent.be; +32 09/264 36 42).