Call for Applications
Part-time Executive Director, Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study
A Scholarly Association with an average of ca. 600 members
Anticipated time commitment: average 20 hours per month.
Salary: $6,000 annually.
- Serve as an officer of SASS, appointed by the president of the Society with concurrence of the Executive Council.
- Consult on various issues with officers (president, past president, vice president/president-elect, journal editor, associate editor), and with an advisory board. Together these constitute the Executive Council.
- Receive and deposit dues, subscriptions, and royalties from University of Illinois Press.
- Pay UIP when billed for printing, mailing, service fees.
- Receive and disburse funds for annual meetings.
- Oversee management of Society’s investments with Edward Jones.
- Disburse two graduate fellowships annually.
- Submit annual financial and statistical report to association membership at annual meeting and to journal for publication.
- Submit materials to CPA for filing annual nonprofit tax return.
- Spearhead investigation and writing of grants from appropriate organizations for advancement of SASS objectives.
- Advise potential donors to SASS on donor options, delayed giving, bequests.
- Cooperate with conference planning committee in planning and arrangements for annual meetings.
- Coordinate with meeting procurement and site selection agency (currently HelmsBriscoe).
- Attend SASS annual meeting, usually April or early May, travel and hotel paid by SASS.
- Represent SASS at annual meeting of American Council of Learned Societies (May), costs split between ACLS and SASS, and at the annual meeting of ACLS’s Conference of Administrative Officers (CAO), October, costs paid by CVBs of hosting cities.
- Contribute to ACLS’s “cao-discussion” listserv regarding management issues in scholarly organizations.
- Post routine website and social media updates, maintain website or work with outside vendor to ensure website remains viable and working.
Send cover letter, CV/resumé, and list of three referees with telephone numbers/email addresses to Richard Jensen (email@example.com, Thomas DuBois (firstname.lastname@example.org, and Margaret Hayford O’Leary (email@example.com) by15 April 2015.