SASS is an association of scholars and others interested in the cultures of the Nordic countries: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. For more about joining the Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study, click here.
Founded in 1911, the Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study has as its objectives:
- The promotion of Scandinavian study and instruction in America;
- The encouragement of original research in this country in the fields of Scandinavian languages, literatures, history, culture, and society and the publication of the results of such research in the quarterly journal Scandinavian Studies;
- The fostering of closer relations between persons interested in Scandinavian studies in North America and elsewhere.
- President: Margaret Hayford O’Leary, St. Olaf College (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice President: Tim Tangherlini, UCLA (email@example.com)
- Immediate Past President: Thomas A. DuBois, University of Wisconsin-Madison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Executive Director: Clydette L. Wantland (email@example.com)
History and Social Science
- Peter Leonard, Yale University (firstname.lastname@example.org), 2013-2017
- Glenn Kranking, Gustavus Adolphus College (email@example.com), 2014-2018
- Lizette Gradén, Stockholm University (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2015-2019
- Daron Olson, Indiana University East (email@example.com) 2016-2020
Language and Literature
- Chip Oscarson, Brigham Young University (firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sherrill Harbison, University of Massachusetts at Amherst (email@example.com), 2014-2018
- Jonas Wellendorf, Berkeley (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2015-2019
- Ursula Lindqvist, Gustavus Adolphus College (email@example.com) 2016-2020
For general inquiries you may use the form below to send us a message. Thanks!